The central subject of my propopsed project is Penguin Book Design.
The main question or purpose of my project is to explore how the design of Penguin book covers has developed over its history.
The main areas I am intending to research are:
- 1930s: Original Design
- 1940s: Art Direction of Jan Tschichold
- 1950s: Introduction of the Veritcal Grid
- 1960s: Art Direction of Germano Facetti
- 1970s-80s: Bad Taste and Economic Lows
- 1990-2000s: New Direction
- Today: Modern Series and Designing for a Target Audience
The sources I am going to consult are published material (books about the subject and the Penguin books themselves) and internet resources.
I will need to do fieldwork by visiting libraries or books stores to have a first hand look at the designs.
The artists whos work will be relevant to my investigation are; Jan Tschichold, Germano Facetti, John Hamilton, Pete Mayer and modern day designers of Penguin covers.
In relation to my project I would like to look at the work of Phil Baines, the writer of Penguin By Design.